Slate.org facilitates college visits to secondary schools by providing a centralized visit calendar that colleges and universities can use to plan their visits.
The sections below will demonstrate how to create and manage your institution's visits within Slate.org.
To create a visit in Slate.org, navigate to Visits and follow the instructions below:
1. Click the New Visit button.
2. Configure the following initial settings:
When creating multiple visits with the Recurrence setting, the options change slightly due to settings being generalized:
3. Click the Location tab to update the location of the visit. By default, this will be set to your institution's address.
4. Click the Description tab to add a description of the visit. The description is optional and can be used to convey visit-specific details not included in your Notes to Visitors. When entered, registrants will be able to see the description of your visit.
5. Click the Internal Notes tab to add internal notes about a visit. These notes are not visible to registrants.
6. Click Save to create the visit(s).
|What happens if I change the status of a visit? If you change the status after a registrant exists, you will receive a popup window asking you to confirm this change. Notification of these changes will be sent to registrants' Activity Feeds. For example, if a visit is changed from Confirmed/Active to Canceled, registrants who are either Registered or Awaiting Confirmation will be notified of the cancellation. If the visit is changed back to Confirmed/Active, these same registrants will be notified of the reinstatement of the visit.|
The visit calendar can be used to view your institution's Slate.org visits as well as appointments on other calendars that are imported via the Calendars link. Use the month, week, and day buttons to change the date range visible on the calendar. The left arrow and right arrow buttons will change the date range displayed on the calendar. Use the today button to return to the current date in the calendar view.
Add Calendars to Slate.org
Any number of external iCal feeds can be added to your Slate.org visit calendar to help you avoid conflicts with school holidays, test dates, and other important appointments. Follow the steps below to add an external calendar:
1. Click Calendars.
2. Paste the external calendar URL into the Add Calendar by URL text box.
3. Click the Add link next to the text box to fetch the calendar details, including the name of the calendar.
4. Add the calendar name in the text box if the fetch did not include a calendar name. You may update this name at any time.
Note: The Add link changes to Del once the calendar as been added. Click Del to remove the calendar from your Slate.org visit calendar.
5. Click the color box next to the text box to open a color palette. Select any color on the palette to display this calendar's appointments in that color.
6. If desired, add additional calendars by repeating steps 1-5. When you are finished adding calendars, click Save.
Any external calendar can be toggled on or off by clicking the calendar name in the legend. Your preferences will be saved, so if you leave the Visits page or log out, your calendars will re-appear exactly as they were when you last viewed them.
Export Slate.org Calendar
Slate.org visit information can be sent to any external calendar that supports iCal feeds, including Outlook and Google. Use the iCal Subscribe link to download your Slate.org iCal feed, then open it using your external calendar.
Registrants for a visit will display on the registration tabs, organized by the registration status.
- Registered - Colleges and universities that have either accepted an invitation for the visit or that have been approved to attend the visit by someone at your institution appear on the Registered tab.
- Awaiting Confirmation - Colleges and universities that have requested registration for the visit from the Open Visits page of Slate.org appear on the Awaiting Confirmation tab. These registrants must be either accepted, declined, or rescheduled by a user at your institution.
- Declined - Colleges and universities that canceled their registration or declined an invitation to the visit appear on the Declined tab. Additionally, registrations that were declined or rescheduled by a user at your institution will also appear on the Declined tab.
- Invited - Colleges and universities that were invited to attend the visit and have not yet replied to the invitation appear on the Invited tab.
You can view the contacts for the specific college or university by clicking on their registration:
- Registered - Students who have either accepted an invitation for the visit or who have been approved to attend the visit by someone at your institution appear on the Registered tab.
- Awaiting Confirmation - Students who have requested registration for the visit from the Open Visits page of Slate.org appear on the Awaiting Confirmation tab. These registrants must be either accepted, declined, or rescheduled by a user at your institution.
- Declined - Students who have canceled their registration or declined an invitation to the visit appear on the Declined tab. Additionally, registrations that were declined or rescheduled by a user at your organization will also appear on the Declined tab.
- Invited - Students who were invited to attend the visit that have not yet replied to the invitation appear on the Invited tab.
Students who attend your institution and have a Slate.org account will be able to view both invitations and open visits that your institution has created in Slate.org. They can request registration for open visits and accept or decline invitations.
ReschedulingAny registration can be rescheduled for any reason, regardless of the registration status. For example, if you have three registration requests on the Awaiting Confirmation tab for a visit that only has two slots left, instead of simply declining the visit, you may wish to invite the college or university to visit on another day that has availability.
Use the following steps to reschedule a registrant:
1. Click on the registrant you wish to reschedule.
2. Click Reschedule Visit.
3. Select an available visit from the New Visit dropdown.
4. Click Reschedule.
Once the registration has been rescheduled, the registrant will appear on the Declined tab for the original visit and on the Invited tab for the new visit until the registrant responds to the new invitation.
Confirming, Declining, or Canceling Registrations
In addition to rescheduling registrations on the Awaiting Confirmation tab, you are also able to confirm or decline a registration. Additionally, confirmed registrations on the Registered tab can be canceled.
Canceling an existing registration and declining a requested registration have the same result: the registrant will receive notification within the Slate.org Activity Feed, and the registration will move to the Declined tab.
Confirming a registration on the Awaiting Confirmation tab will send a notification to the registrant on the Slate.org Activity Feed, and the registration will move to the Registered tab.
Just as with rescheduling visits, these actions can be performed by clicking on the specific registration that you would like to update.
Then click the button associated with the action you wish to perform.
Perform the following steps using the Invited tab to invite colleges and universities or students to attend your visit:
1. Click New Invitation in either the College or Student Registrants tab.
2. Search for colleges and universities using the Search Colleges and Universities search box. Once you begin typing search terms, you will see a list of colleges and universities that match your search criteria.
4. If an Invite Contact box appears, this means that the selected college or university is not yet using Slate.org. Simply enter the name and contact information for a person at that institution to invite that user to Slate.org.
5. When you are satisfied with the selected list, click Invite to send the invitations.
All invited colleges or students who have not yet responded to the invitation appear on the Invited tab. Any invitations can be deleted or rescheduled at any time by clicking on the row on the Invited tab and then selecting the action.
Deleting the invitation will remove the invitation from the Activity Feed for the registrant. Rescheduling is applicable for any registration status, and it is explained in the section below.
Inviting co-hosts uses a very similar process as inviting colleges and universities to attend a visit, so the steps to invite co-hosts should look familiar to you.
Perform the following steps to invite co-hosts:
1. Click Invite Co-Hosts.
2. Search for high schools using the Search High Schools search box. Once you begin typing search terms, you will see a list of high schools that match your search criteria.
3. Check the boxes next to any high school you wish to invite to co-host this visit.
4. If an Invite Contact box appears, this means that the selected high school is not yet using Slate.org. Simply enter the name and contact information for a person at that organization to invite that user to Slate.org.
5. Repeat steps 2 through 4 to invite any number of high schools to co-host this visit.
6. Clear the search box to view the list of currently selected high schools. The Invite button at the bottom of the screen will always show an updated count of the high schools selected.
7. When you are satisfied with the list of selected high schools, click Invite to send the co-host invitations.
High schools that have been invited to co-host will appear on the Visit Management page. Invitations that do not yet have a response will appear as Pending:
If an invited co-host declines the invitation, that will also appear in the Co-Hosts section of the page.
Homepage Activity Feed
Click on any visit in this section to be taken to the Visit Management page to view additional details or edit the visit.
Visits with Unreviewed Registrants
To view more information about the visit, click the invitation in the table.
In the popup, you can choose to Confirm or Decline the co-host invitation directly, or you may choose to view more information about the visit, including the description, internal notes, and registration lists by clicking on the Visit link.
While on the Visit Management page, you will have the ability to view the visit information; however, you will not be able to update registrations or edit any visit details until you confirm the invitation.
In the Invitation Status section, click the Update link to respond to the invitation directly from the Visit Management page:
If you decline a co-host invitation, you will no longer have access to the visit.
The Activity Feed displays recent visit activity, including invitations, visit requests, cancellations, accepts, and declines. All activities that are associated with recent or future visits that occurred since your last login will appear in the Activity Feed, with a minimum activity history of 7 days. Any activity that occurred after your last login to Slate.org are emphasized with this icon:
Click on any activity on the table to be taken directly to the appropriate tab on the Visit Management page to view more information.