Secondary school counselors can create and add students to custom lists, allowing for customized and streamlined caseload management. Email messages can be sent to individuals or entire lists of students [See link to the help article for sending emails to student lists at the bottom of this article].
Creating a Student List
- From the Slate.org home page, click on the Students icon in the top navigation.
- On the next screen, click on the 'Manage Lists' button in the top right corner.
- In the data table, click on "New List" found under the 'Name' column header.
- Complete the form to create a list:
Item Value Description Name
Create an intuitive name.
For example, "Class of 2020 (A-G)" or "Sophomore List". Choose something that will assist you in organizing your student list(s).
Choose 'Active' or 'Inactive'.
For example, at the end of each year, you may wish to inactivate lists of students which you no longer advise.
Share List Choose to keep your list private or to share with other staff members at your organization who have access to Slate.org. Default List Choose to set this list as default. If you create multiple lists, the one that is set as the default will automatically display each time you click on the Students icon in the top navigation. Order Give your list an order. This order will be the order that displays in the drop down menu of all of your lists. Best practice is to order your lists in increments of 10 because as you continue to build lists, you may wish to insert a list into a particular order without having to re-order the pre-existing lists.
- Save the list.
On the list page, the configurations that were set will be displayed in a summary and now students can be added to the list one at a time.
- Click on "Add Students" found under the 'Record' column header.
- Search for your students. The search is dynamic and will start to populate names based on each letter typed.
- When you find your student, click on their name and then click the 'Add' button in the bottom of the selection box.
- A pop-up will ask "Are you sure you want to add these records to the list?". Click OK.
- The student will be added to the list.
| Important - If a student is not able to be found in a search it may mean one of the following:
Once a student has been added, you will be returned to the lists home page.
|Tips - Student records can be removed from the list by checking off the box found to the left of the student name. If the box located next to "Record" is selected, it will select all of the students on the list.|
Click the Edit button in the upper right corner to edit the configurations of the list at any time.
Click on the "Student Lists" breadcrumb trail in the upper left corner of the screen to return to the Manage Student Lists section. Here you will find all of the lists that have been created, including the information about:
- Count - The total number of student records on the list.
- Shared - If the list was configured to be "Shared" or kept "Private".
- Status - A null value indicates that the list is 'Active'. Otherwise, 'Inactive' will populate if the list has been inactivated.
Viewing a Student List
Click on the Students icon in the top navigation to return to the screen that will display all of the lists that have been created.
Located above the table is a drop-down menu that displays all of the lists created. You will notice that the list that was set as a default will automatically show. Choose what you would like to view:
- All Students
- My Student Lists
- Shared Student Lists
|Important - The importance of naming lists is apparent for this function so that staff members understand which lists will be available.|
The search option is located on this page as well and works just the same as it did on other screens within the Slate.org platform.
Adding a New Student
Click on the 'New Student' button in the top right corner, located under the 'Manage Lists' button. This provides you the opportunity to add students who were not found in the Search feature when creating lists.
There are 3 tabs located on this configuration window.
School Record (All items are optional):
Dates that the student attends your institution.
Expected Graduation Date
Date of expected graduation. This can be an anticipated date as well.
|Class Rank||Insert the current Class Rank.|
|GPA||Insert the current GPA.|
|Awards||Insert any current awards the student has earned.|